Monday, March 26, 2012

The Many Faces of Kinilaw!

I have always been a lover of Kinilaw or Kilawin, (Philippine  delicacy in which the main ingredient is raw fish or meat marinated in vinegar, pepper, chili (preferably siling labuyo), chopped onions, calamansi,cucumber,turnip and other garnishes).

And since I am living in an island, filled with the gifts from the sea and a traveler, I will be sharing some photos I took during my food trip with Fish Kinilaw in it (this is obviously one of the first dish I'd pick when ordering). I prefer raw Tangigue fish (Spanish mackerel) than Pork Kinilaw. I dunno, maybe it has this sweet and cottony-feel-like texture when taken and of course, since this is taken fresh, you'd appreciate the sweetness of the fish even better.Preparation is also simple that even a small ten-year-old child can prepare this --- all you have to do is chop,chop,chop and combine all ingredients!


Penong's at Davao City : with chopped  green mango,turnip,cucumber,calamansi and  no tomatoes (photo taken by my good friend, Myla)

Payag Restaurant, Tagbilaran City :Sweet and creamy kinilaw with cream and coconut milk (nothing much to say, I just ate it ^^)  
Jack's Ridge, Davao City : has sweet aftertaste (maybe because of the cucumber ^^) 
Lamesa Grill, Cebu City  : Tangigue fish made colorful by tomatoes, onion leaves,celery and cucumber
My own version Bolinao fish kinilaw with chopped siling labuyo,vinegar, calamansi,tomatoes and onion leaves (yes, no coconut milk).









(Forgot where I had this) Tangigue Fish with calamansi, cocunut milk, usual onions and red tomatoes.

Golden Cowrie's Tangigue Fish Kinilaw with coconut milk, green tomatoes and lots of onions 

Mark's mom's masterpiece : radish, cucumber, ginger, onions and vinegar




Pretty mouth-watering isn't it? ^^ Too bad I wasn't able to capture all those food trips I've had but I guess from now on, I'd be keeping my camera at all times. So when you're visiting The Philippines, remember to try one. Some restaurants here have included this on their menus even on 'carenderias' along the road. This is always present in some drinking sessions or family picnics/beach get-aways. You can actually make one though, with all those usual tomatoes, onions and vinegar, and of course, the raw fish (Tangigue or Bolinao), the fresher, the better.  ^^









2 comments:

  1. you should try Iligan's Kinilaw Lai-Lai's Restaurant.... Grabe super sarap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhhhmmm okay, i'll keep that in mind, thanks Keeh Jhay!

    ReplyDelete