Monday, June 17, 2013

Let's get this party started!

I was a weekend drinker. There were  times  my body longs for cold beers and hard-partying. I admit I drink, before,  to get over a break-up, in confusion, getting over a huge fight, into deep thinking about life, angry over someone at work, party with friends, or simply supporting a friend in confusion , celebrating something or simply hanging out friends.

I think the saying, "Tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are" is kinda true. But in my case, being judgmental on something you don't have any idea of is a different thing. I belong to a middle-class family, where some little celebrations are celebrated with adults on a drinking-spree. I came from a little town where people hang-out in groups,  always with alcohol bottles in their hand.


When I was in college, most of my friends were boys, makes sense, I  spent most of my college days with them, of course among other girls.  Being an engineering student in a local university, I admit, one of the ways to get over a disappointing grade was to have a  drink or two. Making a design-project takes a lot of patience, motivation and hard-work; we celebrate with lots of beer afterwards.


Conversations are getting interesting with colored bottles around

When I started working and earning on my own, still, since I am working in an engineering firm, working mostly with guys,  weekend-drinking is kinda hard to get off your system. A cold drink and a few conversations happens to be a good stress-reliever after a tiring moments at work.  I remember staying up late on a Friday night trying to nurse a broken spirit after a heated argument with a colleague at work. Sometimes, drinking and hanging-out with friends helps. This is when I tried drinking some sort of drinks, from beer, to wine, to whiskey, gin, rum, cocktails, champagne, spirits, ale, tequila, brandy, vodka, and others which are so damn expensive. Oh, those were the days.








Sometimes at work, I was kinda obliged to go out. With foreign co-workers around, we were sometimes obliged to hang-out with them.  A night of endless karaoke, pigging-out and conversations on exchanging ideas and cultures were the usual scene. 












With company activities, no one can escape the boozing-up session. After all, we are here for fun, relaxation, and drinking is always one on the table.








There were also times when I got so hooked-up with comedy bars and bar-hopping.  I remember getting off early at work on Saturday nights, catching up with friends and getting home by 3AM. Trips on comedy bars were like getting into a different world. Laughing the whole night was a relief for me. After all the stress at work, it was all worth it. Bar-hopping on the other hand is much costly; having to try expensive drinks  left me broke sometimes. With all those loud music in bars was like heaven to me; makes me forget who I was. Making me forget the mess my life has become. 

bar-hopping anyone?
Hanging-out with high school friends (photo courtesy: R.Macalandag)
One of those crazy days... 
Hanging out with one of my drinking buddy
Having a quick beer with my partner, Mark and a friend at high noon
But those were the days. And those days are gone. One day I woke up with an idea that I had to stop heavy-drinking and always visible on bars. It is true that sometimes there would come a time where you got tired on something,; that sometimes, you could no longer have that intense want of doing the usual things you do. Maybe it comes with age or something. When I started reading inspirational and spiritual books; I realized that I was so wrong all along. My body is a temple and I shouldn't do things that will make it impure. I remember praying and hoping that I would have the courage to say NO or at least let my heart says NO. From then on, I tried  to erase the thought of going out late at night; being able to  go home straight from work, urged some of my friends to eat rather than drinking, distract myself by doing other things and even turned down countless invitations from my usual drinking buddies, man, did I broke their hearts?  But I didn't care, I had to win my self-campaign to say NO to drinking. And believe me, there are other better ways to get over a confusion, heart-break, anger and other things; thinking them over with alcohol not always an option. 

When I met Mark, the realization of taking care of myself washed over me. Not that I was influenced by him but the realization of getting an alocohol-free body was a lot easier with him. He was the kind of man who reminded me that drinking is not ideal for a woman. My drinking habits changed gradually and I am thankful now that I am more in control than I was before. Hey, no offense, I have nothing against people who drink too much and partying hard, believe me, I was once there and I know how it feels like. But right now, I am more concerned of my health and being able to stay alcohol-free as what the Law says.  I am more than thankful because myLord helped me realized  that it's not too late to change, not too late for Him. 



No comments:

Post a Comment