Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

I believe everybody would agree with me : that sometimes, there is a bad day or a good day. That some time at a given moment, you're either too happy or too sad or both. That so annoying feeling when your papers got jammed on your printer and you're in a hurry; when you're stuck in a traffic and end up a minute late at work; when you forgot to set your alarm clock and ended up waking at noon --- yes, those things.....

Like me -- yes, I have been cranky lately. Must have been the weather. Or this annoying traffic I usually get stuck into while on my way to work. Stress perhaps. Bored. Maybe. I'm not angry particularly at someone, or maybe annoyed by anyone. Maybe hormonal. I don't know.

 As I watched the closing ceremony of 2012 London Olympics, one performance caught my attention : Eric Idle singing his song Always Look on the Bright Side of Life which was featured in 1979 film Monty Python's Life of Brian. It occurred to me, that, somehow, I need to loosen up a bit! 


So, I decided to look for little things in my life right now that would somehow uplift  my inner spirit and here's some I found today: 
  •  I constantly have a chance to update my blogsite 
  •  I can still enjoy the fine blue sky on my way to work 
  •  Constant calls from my better-half that he loves me every single day 
  •  Beautiful sunset I'd see on my way home 
  •  A little child I smiling at me on the street after I gave her a penny 
  •  Today's a payday 
  •  I was picture-tagged by my previous staff with her new baby
  •  Boss offering me a higher position (shall I grab it?) 
  •  Done with my presentation for the company president 
  •  Chatting online with a friend whom I haven't seen in years 
  •  Smilling to see "Love you so much" note at the end of every sms message from mymark 
  •  An exciting event our team will have a few weeks from now
  •  I believe I will be an official Tita after my brother told me that maybe his wife is pregnant 
  •  Seeing my little nephews together in a picture 
  •  Enjoying my usual coffee at work
  •  Seeing strangers along the way who were smiling  
  •  Seeing a flower that seemed to be on a crossroad
  •  Reminiscing my annual vacation at Maribago Bluewater Resort 
  •  I will be reading Haruki Murakami's book Norwegian Wood this weekend 
  •  And so many other things...    

 

Seeing my previous staff's new baby Sam Gabriel
Seeing my nephews Einslee and Raindell together in a picture
Enjoying my usual coffee
Wonderful sunset

I realized that, happiness brought about by simple things, among the "big things" are just the same; or even brings more level-up happiness to you. Funny how a little gesture like feeding a dog and rewarding you with a wagging tail and a playful bite, is much more happier than being able to visit amazing places like Paris or Tokyo. It's amazing to how it changes your grumpy mood and lighten up the little darkness inside. If we take a little time to appreciate little things, it's amazing how it changes our perspective and how it boost our optimism and self-esteem. A little appreciation on things that we have and  things around us are actually enough to make our day. This positive feeling which involves a desire to thank a person, a moment, a situation or the Holy Creator gives me a bit of a little sense of luckiness and appreciation of life. Indeed, life is not always hard. Funny how it still offers something to be happy for : by seeing little things around you.  

So, starting today, I will tell myself that everyday, I am going to be happy, no matter what. That I'd tell myself that today is going to be a less-bad-day, looking at the brighter side of life. That if I'd open my heart and mind and let the little happiness rule my worst mood ---  I will be generally okay ^^. 

And so the saying, "Great things do come in simple packages" makes sense to me now. How about you? What are the little things that make you happy today? ^^ 

  

3 comments:

  1. Agreed.Waahaha. Definitely agree with you on great things do comes in simple packages. I have a lot of things and people to be thankful for, you is one of them.hehehe.for constantly listening to me and giving me your bountiful opinion.hahahaha. Positive thinking do a lot of good things to a person. Be happy (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha chos! thanks pipay! be happy always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes!!! This is the day that the Lord has made! Let us rejoice and be glad in it! =D

    ReplyDelete